The Cleatham cemetery in North Lincolnshire is, with over 1200 cremations and 62 burials, England’s third largest Anglo-Saxon cemetery. It was in use throughout the early Anglo-Saxon period from the mid-5th century to the late 7th century. Following full excavation, the site was analysed in detail and it proved possible to phase the 1204 inter-cut urns and a sequence of five phases was constructed. This phasing was also applied to the grave goods found within the urns, giving an insight into the sequence of metalwork, beads, combs etc. Direct links were found between urns from Cleatham and those from other cemeteries in Anglian England allowing wider conclusions to be drawn.
CBA Research Report 155
Sales fulfilled by Oxbow Books